Panda Express’s lo mein is one of my favorite fast foods. A few weeks ago, I needed a quick dinner for my family on a night where I hadn’t planned ahead well. I realized quickly that I had most of the ingredients for lo mein already on hand. It was a great night, and much cheaper than running to my local restaurant. Enjoy!
Lo Mein (Serves 4)
½ package whole wheat thin spaghetti
1 chicken breast, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger root, peeled and grated or minced small
½ large onion, sliced
1 rib celery, sliced
¾ cup julienne carrot
½ cabbage, shredded
1 zucchini, sliced
⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, minus salt or oil. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add chicken. Cook until done about 5-7 minutes. Remove to a plate.
3. Add garlic, ginger, onion, celery, and carrot to pan. Saute for 5-7 minutes, until vegetables are mostly softened. Stir frequently to prevent any burning. Add cabbage and zucchini. Cook 3-5 minutes more.
4. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, and sriracha.
5. Add chicken and noodles to vegetables in skillet. Add soy sauce mixture. Stir and cook over heat until well combined, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.
Nutritional Information (Amount per serving):
Protein: 27 g
Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 50 mg
Carbohydrates: 50 g
Fiber: 9 g
Sodium: 853 mg
Source: adapted from several sources online